La Fosse Sophie

Historic site and monument ,  World Heritage (UNESCO) ,  19th century ,  House ,  Industrial site at Hergnies

Unesco rond.jpg
  • Inserted in a rural and wooded area, La Fosse Sophie symbolically recalls the first phases of coal mining. Launched in 1835 by the Compagnie des mines d'Anzin, she is a twin from La Fosse Mathilde in Denain. In 1867, the pit was amputated a third of its buildings for a reallocation in housing. If the integrity of the Sophie Pit leads us to consider it in terms of ves- stem, the building remains no less emblematic of the first third of the 19th century, when the infrastructure of production begin to mark the landscape durably.