Château de l'Hermitage

Historic site and monument ,  Listed or registered (CNMHS) ,  World Heritage (UNESCO) ,  Classical ,  Castle ,  Mine at Condé-sur-l'Escaut

Chateau_de_l_hermitage_Condé.jpg
  • The Château de l’Hermitage (XVIII.)
    The Château de l’Hermitage was built between 1786 and 1789 by the architect Chaussard for Prince Anne-Emmanuel de Croÿ whose wealth significantly increased after the discovery and mining of coal on his land. Situated in Bonsecours-Condé forest, this majestic neoclassical stately home is synonymous with the early mining period as it was here that on November 19th, 1757, the deed of incorporation of the Compagnies des Mines d’Anzin was signed. As this is a private property, it can only be viewed from the forest paths during a walk.