Saint-Géry in Maing
The Church of Maing is one of the oldest in the Valenciennes area. It is mentioned for the first time in the 11th century in a charter from the Bishop of Cambrai Manassés, placing the altar of Maing under the responsibility of the Abbey of Saint-Aubert of Cambrai. Back in the 12th century it would have been built from sandstone in a rectangular pattern in the Romanesque style (one window is still visible today). The sandstone base of the entrance hall and that of the nave’s arches are therefore the oldest parts of this church. It is home to funerary features of an outstanding quality, (funeral slabs). Jeanne de Valois, the Countess of Hainaut, and her daughter Isabelle de Namur, were reinterred here in 2011, after being removed in 1977 from the remains of the Abbey Church of Fontenelle to where they withdrew and where they died in 1352 and 1360.